Sunday 22 November 2009

The Warhol Effect!


I've been going back to Warhol recently. I was thinking about the delicious irony that using popular culture has in art works. My latest 'COLLECTIBLES' (thefoamdiaries) are an attempt to make an ironic statement about the value of art by making strangely alluring collectible pieces from my foam. I was thinking about Abraham Maslow's hierarchy of needs and how my initial idea for the foam, concerning notions of protection, could be turned on its head to create products that serve the opposite function of representing aspiration. Maslow said that we all have different levels of needs, beginning with basic needs such as protection and food, and rising through the hierarchy to self-actualisation, the ultimate self-fulfilment, which for me is reflected in the products we purchase - especially the one's that are all shiny and new. So I decided that this could be a theme of my pieces, or at least some of them -to elicit that aspirational emotion in their texture and form, shiny, smooth, golden etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment