Sunday 22 November 2009

The Turner Prize 2009...


I forgot to mention that I went to see the Turner Prize nominees a few weeks back. Having heard an interesting piece on BBC Radio 4, talking about this year being a return to more traditional art skills, such as drawing, I was very excited to see this years work. Alas, it wasn't what I expected, but of course it never is an that's almost the point. But, besides Richard Wright's amazingly intricate gold leaf site specific wall mural (which didn't particularly turn me on actually) it still all seemed a bit too vague and over-conceptual in places (Enrico). Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the work there but I really did want to see some more traditional works. Recently the BBC2 documentary series on 'Modern Art' has been concerned with beauty but also what seems to be a sea change in the work of artists in the wake of the Young British Artists - a more relaxed and less antagonistic approach to their work and work which focusses more on traditional skills. I like this trend, if it is a trend of course, it seems more like a return to normality in the art world, away from the recent era of the Tate Modern's 'Paris Salon' approach to contemporary art. If they want to bring in the crowds, trad is where its at as far as I'm concerned, and I'm going to earn and use as many skills as necessary to create work with lasting resonance, rather than novelty trends.
Of course, I see the irony in my statement, but although I appreciate Richard Wright's wall piece for it's relaxed and less antagonistic approach, its understated, yet grand demeanor, it just didn't make a lasting impression on me, anymore than a gold laura ashley wallpaper print. It's not exactly William Morris!

No comments:

Post a Comment